User ID and Password Guidelines
These guidelines will help you create a User ID and Password that's easy to remember, but difficult for "outsiders" to guess.
Do: Review the Citibank Vulgar Language Policy.
Do: Mix letters (lower and uppercase) and numbers.
Do: Make your User ID and Password 2 distinct entries.
Do: Make your User ID and Password different from the Security Word you provided when you applied for the card.
Do: Use phrases that combine spaces and words (i.e., "An apple a day"). NOTE: 1 space only between each word/character.
Do: Use at least 2 numbers and 1 letter for your password.
Don't: Use your name.
Don't: Use the following characters when registering the UserID.' " = : ; < > ( )
Don't: Use multiple consecutive spaces.
Don't: Use a single word that can be found in the dictionary.
Don't: Use something readily identifiable, such as your name, birthday, spouse or child's name, social security number, phone number or street address. These can be traced directly to you and are easy for potential hackers to guess.
Don't: Use letters or numbers that are near each other on the keyboard (i.e. hjkl;) or that appear in a logical sequence (i.e. 123456 or abcdefg).
Don't: Share your information with anyone—ever.
Have some fun and try following one of these formulas:
- Choose a meaningful phrase with 6-8 words in it (e.g. we bought our home 9 years ago) and take the first character of each word to make your password: wboh9ya.
- Insert two digits into a word (e.g. Decem51ber).
- Replace the vowels or other letters in a short phrase with numbers or other characters.
- Misspell a word, drop some letters, add other characters, or make up crazy words using symbols instead of vowels or consonants.
- Drop the vowels in a long word (e.g. 'corporation' would be crprtn). Even better, add some numbers (e.g. 2crprtn9).
Citibank Vulgar Language Policy
The Citibank Vulgar Language Policy prohibits User IDs or Passwords containing language that:
- Is sexually explicit, vulgar or obscene.
- Is racially or ethnically offensive.
- Exploits a minor (any person under the age of 18).
- Defames, abuses or threatens physical harm or death to others or oneself.
- Represents violence.
We reserve the right to delete User IDs that contain any language contrary to the policy above at any time without consent or warning. A new User ID will then have to be created to access Account Online. Determination of whether there has been a violation of the policy, and whether any action is warranted, is made at our sole discretion. We also reserve the right to make changes to these guidelines at anytime, and you agree to be bound by any changes. Please check periodically for updates.